Yup, There Is a FUNNY Side of Autism!

Having a child with AUTISM can sometimes be an overwelming situation to deal with and believe me I’ve shed my fair share of tears!

But there is a another side of Autism that I cherish, it’s the funny side. My son in his 13 years of life has made me laugh so much that I have almost pee’d my pants! He stopped talking when he was around 18 months old (a symptom of his autism) but in all these years he has been the funniest child I have ever come across and that’s without speaking a single world. I say to my family all the time “If this child talked I probably would never stop laughing, he is that funny!”

I started this blog so that I could let parents know that through tears comes laughter and though sometimes we feel as if we can’t take any more disappointment or set backs our children have the ability to make us smile and sometimes fold over laughing….in other words there is a funny side of AUTISM…… And this is my story….

Advertisements

9 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Paul
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 14:07:54

Just because I can’t speak doesn’t mean I have nothing to say!

2. stacy hill
    Apr 08, 2011 @ 19:17:41

Well sometimes we all wish our kids would keep quiet. But each child is unique in their own way and it’s up to us as parents to see the uniqueness, even though others may think they are weird. Hey, weird is great and out of weirdness comes creativity and then guiness. So parents love, laugh and things will be a-ok.

3. Tricia Simons
    Apr 11, 2011 @ 23:36:19

Way to go girl!! I will be tuning in regularly, after all i have been through at least 10 of those 13 years and shared the laughter and the tears with you all, my wonderful Bermudian family! He always made me laugh at Soul Food Friday whenever a new person arrived on the scene he would drag them to the cheese balls hoping they would give him some before the rest of the family informed the newbie not to give him them!! He got me a few times with that! And you are right, the laughter just keeps us all going…love you!

4. Erica Smith
    Apr 12, 2011 @ 00:07:05

I am proud of you! All I can say is that your son has his own private jokes about all of us! That is why he was giggling all day! Gotta love him. I think the lessons for all us “serious” adults is that no matter how bad you think things are there is always some room for a good laugh!

5. Janeene Harris
    Apr 12, 2011 @ 09:55:19

Aww Thea, this is so nice!!! You know, I never grew up around anyone with autism so for me Cire was definitely a new encounter. I am not going to lie, secretly, I often wondered how you done it. I am glad though that you have decided to write a blog as I look forward to gaining a better understanding about life with Autism – even if it’s from a different perspective. I can definitely see where there is a funny side as on a few occasions, I myself have had to DODGE out of Ceri’s way!!!. In the beginning, I even wondered if it was a set up!!! LOL. No, just playing (seriously)!!!!! :O)

Well, they say, “what you don’t know doesn’t hurt”. I believe what you do know, only makes you wiser!!!

Looking forward to, The Funny Side of Autism!

6. Sophia McCray
    Apr 12, 2011 @ 10:19:39

Well once again you never cease to amaze me. You are a super wonderful mother and I am learning from you each day on how to channel the negative into positive. I am still a work in progress so in the mean time your blog will uplift and inspire me to keep laughing through it all. Keep up the great work!!!

7. Toni B
    Apr 12, 2011 @ 18:29:07

Weezy gurl!!! What an awesome way to share your story! So true, there is a challenging side of Autism, but also a lovable and very funny side as well. Cire is most defintely de guy and is very funny – especially when he uses me as a jungle gym!! Don’t know if he can do it this year though!!! He has grown so much and has the world’s best Mom and family EVER to love, support n cheer for him. Love you sista!